SAN FRANCISCO, April 25, 2013 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- Presidio Graduate School will present a half-day symposium exploring how existing and emerging alternatives to Gross Domestic Product (GDP), such as the Genuine Progress Indicator and Bhutan's Gross National Happiness, may better measure economic well-being and could provide value in driving economic policy. This half-day event titled "Outgrowing GDP: A New Approach to America's Accounting System" will be held in San Francisco on April 30 and feature individual talks, a panel discussion, and a Q&A session with speakers offering diverse perspectives on the topic:
- Nizar Abdallah, Adjunct Professor and Board Member, Presidio Graduate School
- Lew Daly, Director, Sustainable Progress Initiative, and Senior Fellow, Demos; and author, Beyond GDP: New Measures for a New Economy
- Jacques Leslie, Pulitzer Prize-nominated journalist currently reporting on Bhutan's Happiness Index
- Dan Sevall, Adjunct Professor of Accounting and Fred Gellert Family Foundation Faculty, Presidio Graduate School
- William Shutkin, CEO and President, Presidio Graduate School
- Maggie Winslow, Associate Professor of Environmental Management, University of San Francisco
"I am pleased to have the opportunity to present and participate in this important discussion about a key measure of our national welfare," says William Shutkin. "The alternatives to the GDP hold the promise of providing a fuller, more accurate assessment of economic well-being that accounts for many factors contributing to the quality of our lives, rather than considering only our country's overall financial condition. I look forward to hearing our speakers' thoughts about ways to encourage wider use of these alternative approaches."
The Presidio Graduate School symposium is made possible through the sponsorship of the Fred Gellert Family Foundation. The venue for the event is provided courtesy of Bloomberg L.P.
What: Outgrowing GDP: A New Approach to America's Accounting System
Where: Bloomberg L.P. Auditorium, Pier 3, Embarcadero, San Francisco
When: 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., Tuesday, April 30, 2013
Cost: $20; includes light breakfast and lunch
Official Event Link: http://www.presidioedu.org/outgrowing-gdp
About Presidio Graduate School
Presidio Graduate School educates and inspires a new generation of skilled, visionary and enterprising leaders to transform business and public policy and create a more just, prosperous and sustainable world. Through innovative MBA, MPA, dual degree and professional development programs in sustainable management, Presidio activates students and professionals across a range of disciplines, industries and sectors to bridge the gap between commerce and the common good.
Rachel Fus Presidio Graduate School, 415-655-8972, email@example.com
News distributed by PR Newswire iReach: https://ireach.prnewswire.com
SOURCE Presidio Graduate School