NEW YORK, Oct. 9, 2013 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- StarWalk Kids Media has published a new, digital edition of the powerful middle grade novel KING OF THE KOOTIES in conjunction with Bullying Prevention Awareness Month (October 2013).
In this story, written by Debbie Dadey for children ages 7-10, Donald doesn't even know he's being insulted by Louisa, the class bully, when she names him King of the Kooties - but that's just the beginning of Louisa's war against the new kid. Donald doesn't do a very good job of protecting himself, so it's up to his best friend Nate to teach Donald to defend himself from a bully without resorting to violence.
StarWalk Kids Media Publisher Liz Nealon noted: "It is important for us to add our voice to the chorus of people across the country working to raise awareness of the consequences of bullying. We are proud to publish this book, which empowers children with a strategy of collaboration and non-violence."
The consequences of bullying are real and widespread, according to the National Bullying Prevention Center:
- More than 160,000 U.S. students stay home from school each day from fear of being bullied.
- Bullying directly affects a student's ability to learn. Students who are bullied find it difficult to concentrate, show a decline in grades, and lose self-esteem, self-confidence, and self-worth.
- Students who are bullied report more physical symptoms, such as headaches or stomachaches, and mental health issues, such as depression and anxiety, than other students.
- Bullying affects witnesses as well as targets. Witnesses often report feeling unsafe, helpless, and afraid that they will be the next target.
- The two keys to creating change are: increasing awareness that bullying has lifelong impact, and giving people the tools they need to respond effectively.
- Students can be especially effective in bullying intervention. More than 55 percent of bullying situations will stop when a peer intervenes. Student education of how to address bullying for peers is critical, as is the support of adults.
Subscribers to the StarWalk Kids Media streaming collection for schools and libraries can also access a Teaching Link educator guide for this book, which includes ideas, questions and activities to extend the learning. All Teaching Link activities are correlated to appropriate Common Core Standards.
Amazon customer Marinda Martin wrote of KING OF THE KOOTIES: Bad books on bullying resolve the conflict by having the bully pledge eternal friendship after receiving Algebra (or English or History) lessons from the bullied. There are a lot of bad books about bullying out there. This isn't one of them. Highly recommended to be read aloud with a child on your lap.
The KING OF THE KOOTIES eBook is available from Amazon, and is now live in the StarWalk Kids Media streaming collection for schools and libraries. Institutional purchasers can buy this eBook from Baker & Taylor, Follett, Ingram, Mackin Educational Resources, Overdrive and 3M.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Debbie Dadey is the author and co-author of 155 children's books. She has visited thousands of schools throughout the world since the publication of her first book, Vampires Don't Wear Polka Dots in 1990. As a former first grade teacher and elementary school librarian, she loves drawing children into the world of reading with humor and exaggeration. Debbie lives in Bucks County, PA. with her husband, Eric, and their three children and three dogs. Learn more at www.debbiedadey.com
ABOUT THE ILLUSTRATOR: Kevin O'Malley is the author and or illustrator of over 70 books for kids. Of those books that are still in print and haven't been turned into third world fuel or Ikea table tops, his more popular titles include: 'Once Upon A Cool Motorcycle Dude', 'Cinder Edna', and the long running 'Miss Malarkey' series of books. He's been on the New York Times bestseller list and people have given him awards. Which surprises nobody more than his parents. Learn more at www.booksbyomalley.com/
ABOUT StarWalk Kids Media: StarWalk Kids Media publishes engaging eBooks for children. Our collection includes many well-known authors and illustrators, and provides children, librarians, and educators with high-quality fiction and nonfiction titles supporting the Common Core. Our streaming collection works on virtually any device, allowing multiple simultaneous access for students at an affordable price for schools and libraries. StarWalkKids.com
KING OF THE KOOTIES by Debbie Dadey (84 pages)
Illustrated by Kevin O'Malley
Published by StarWalk Kids Media
Kindle Fire: ISBN 978-1623344672
Other eBook Distributors ISBN: 978-1623344689
Publication Date: October 1, 2013
List Price: $6.99
Ages: 7 - 10
Press release courtesy of Submit PR 123: http://bit.ly/16w9VBL
Media Contact: Liz Nealon, StarWalk Kids Media, 917-207-8703, firstname.lastname@example.org
News distributed by PR Newswire iReach: https://ireach.prnewswire.com
SOURCE StarWalk Kids Media