DURHAM, N.C., Jan. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- Irrespective of the new federal HIPAA Omnibus Rule which holds covered entities responsible for protecting patients' health information, some entities are making the same mistakes repeatedly. In one of the biggest HIPAA privacy breaches reported in 2013, AHMC healthcare, a hospital in Alhambra, Calif., notified 729,000 patients that their protected health information has been stolen following the theft of two unencrypted laptops. According to Department of Health and Human Services, the AHMC Healthcare breach is the 11th biggest HIPAA breach till date. But the question is – are data breaches really preventable? There is no straight-forward answer to that, it may not be possible to prevent all breaches, but being prepared to handle a breach is always in every group's best interest. Expert speaker Jim Sheldon Dean will talk about the updated breach notification rules in his conference on HIPAA Compliance at AudioEducator.com.
Updating HIPAA Compliance to Meet the New HIPAA Omnibus Update Rules
Join expert speaker Jim Sheldon-Dean in this informative session on Tuesday, January 21, 2014, where he will help you comprehend the new regulations and changes in the rules, and how to incorporate it in your business.
Topics covered in the session:
- The professionals have a new right to request for electronic copies of information held electronically that must be accounted for in policy
- Professionals have new rights to restrict disclosure of encounter information to an insurer if it is paid fully out of pocket by the individual.
- Learn how new limitations on marketing and fund-raising may change how entities can reach out to individuals
- The marketing policies will now require significant updates and if there is reimbursement for communications from a third party, you need to get an authorization
- The breach policies need to be updated to reflect the new standard for determining whether or not a breach is reportable
- Know how to update your policies and Notice of Privacy Practices – how to document them, and more
- Learn about new audit and penalty requirements to increase the need to make sure you are in compliance before HHS OCR knocks on the doorFor more info, http://www.audioeducator.com/hipaa/hipaa-omnibus-update-01-28-14.html
Other conferences of the week
OASIS C-1 and Process Outcome Changes
In this informative session on Wednesday, January 22, 2014, home health expert Judy Adams, RN, BSN, HCS-D, HCS-O will shed light on the OASIS item changes with references to official CMS information sources. She will compare the new OASIS C-1 items to the 2008 version of OASIS C items and talk about the potential implications of the changes to outcomes and the outcome reports.
Coding Fractures for ICD-10-CM
Join Lynn Anderanin, CPC, CPC-I, COSC, in this power-packed session on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 to know where to find the fracture codes in ICD-10-CM. Lynn will tell you how to use the 7th character for fractures and will help you understand how laterality will affect ICD-10-CM fracture codes. In addition, she will show you how to code pathological fractures.
AudioEducator brings the most compelling list of audio conferences on wide array of healthcare topics—medical coding, billing to CPT changes, E/M Modifiers to OIG work plan, Affordable Care Act to ERISA, RAC updates to fee schedule, Electronic Health Record system to ICD 10 transition, HIPAA and more. Get trained from the comfort of your home or office without spending a penny on travel. Pick a format of your choice for training— live conference/On Demand/ CD/ PDF transcripts and start learning.
To learn more about other updates events for more than 24 specialties, please visit http://www.audioeducator.com.
We have enabled a special discount of 10% for the month of January. Use coupon code AEJAN10 to get your discount, Applicable on all purchases. For further query you can call our customer support as mention below.
Media Contact: Adam K, Audio Educator, 1-866-458-2965, email@example.com
News distributed by PR Newswire iReach: https://ireach.prnewswire.com
SOURCE Audio Educator